Wednesday 4 July 2012

Unisex

My favourite thing in fashion right now is unisex, the idea of this uniform dressing which is both flattering and cool for both sexes. There are a number of brilliant designers doing it and doing it extremely well. Here are a few of my favourites and I've included images from a number of seasons/years for each one:

Rad Hourani


Rad Hourani calls his collections asexual, aseasonal and having no boundaries of culture or time. The clothes are so current yet timeless, tricky yet simple. The unisex vibe is mainly presented in his RAD by Rad Hourani collections and more experimental shapes and concepts within Rad Hourani. He has made history today by presenting the first ever unisex collection at Paris Haute Couture Week which is on right now! exciting stuff! Check out this article from Real Style Network complete with interview from the man himself and source of the image above.








NOM*d



Though not technically unisex I do feel the vibe is there with the ovesized layers and tom boy aesthetic. NOM*d are a huge favourite of mine among kiwi designers, each new season they bring out makes me swoon. I love the shapes and complete cool of their designs and I have to say they are the main label I first got really excited about and the main reason that got me into fashion to start with.








see? swoon!


Lela Jacobs

Image: Four Eyes - see full style post here

For some reason she is only a recent discovery of mine found on a slow day at work. Needless to say I was completely thrilled when I found out this formerly Wellington based designer has her own space on Krd in Auckland! Interestingly she is self taught which is certainly not visible in the polished and well thought out collections she has produced over the last few years. The most intriguing thing though is she collaborates with an artist or crafts person each time she begins to build a collection which means although her aesthetic is clearly evident in each collection, the collections take on a different flavour each time. I have yet to visit her studio space The Keep but I'm certainly looking forward to it.







sigh!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment